For further information visit: https://www.visitbritain.org/covid-19-new-coronavirus-latest-information-and-advice-for-businesses
In these uncertain times, people considering taking a guided tour may understandably have concerns about their health and safety. But with the UK’s professionally qualified and highly trained Blue Badge, Green Badge and White Badge Tourist Guides, you will be in extremely capable hands.
As part of our thorough general training, badged guides are expert in effective and sensitive group management techniques, on streets and at tourist sites, churches and museums.
In addition, the Institute of Tourist Guiding, the British Guild of Tourist Guides, the Association of Professional Tourist Guides and the Driver-Guides Association have created the Covid-19 Guidance for Tourist Guides and is detailed below:
- Guides will ensure they are familiar with the most up-to-date public health guidelines and will adhere to these for the duration of the tour.
- Guides will maintain government-recommended social distancing between themselves and clients at all times. On tours where the group includes different households, guides will encourage and help clients to adopt appropriate social distancing between each other too.
- When guiding groups from different households, guides will follow government guidance to determine the max
- Guides will avoid shaking hands or any other physical contact with clients.
- Guides will apply rigorous hygiene practices, including thoroughly cleaning and waiting for hands to dry before guiding, and use a personal hand sanitiser when this is not possible.
- If requested, guides will consider wearing a mask or visor.
- Badged guides will know where public toilets/hand-washing facilities/hand sanitiser points are available.
- Remote audio devices (such as Whisper, Vox and various apps) can be effective for social distancing on guided tours. Guides will happily work with tour companies using these systems.
- Badged guides are experts in the tourist sites they visit with clients. Guides will ensure they are fully aware of sites’ specific Covid-19 requirements and comply with them.
- Badged guides know the towns and cities where they lead tours intricately.
In addition to the above guidelines, Walking Tours of Oxford will also be implementing: –
- Private bespoke tours only in July and August (see below for further information). These are our ‘Bubble tours’
- Public Tours returning from 1st September and limited in size.
- All tours will be outside and will not be entering any colleges or buildings.
- All guides will be using a remote audio device which will allow for applicable social distancing. These will be sanitised prior to each tour but please feel free to bring your own headphones.
Discount codes and group sizes
For July and August, we will be offering private bespoke ‘bubble’ tours only and for a maximum of 5 people (please get in touch if you would like a larger group). These tours have been reduced by 35% and will be 90 mins in length. You can book on Fareharbor by clicking the ‘Book now’ button and selecting your chosen date and enter the discount code “FREEDOM” as prompted. There are two times offered on the booking system (11am or 2pm) but please reach out if you would like to adjust that to a time to suit you. Alternatively, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
From 1st September, these private bespoke tours will be £100.
From 1st August, we will be returning with our group tours. Both ‘Simply Oxford University’ and ‘Morse / Lewis and Endeavour’. For any forward bookings taken in July and August, please enter code “RETURN” when prompted for a 20% discount. These tours will be reduced in size to approx. 10 initially and to a maximum of 14, each guide will have their own microphone voice system as detailed above.
The group tours will have a reduced schedule and will not be operating every day (please see booking calendar for availability).
All tours require a 2-person minimum to operate.